Introduction: PVC Pipe Blades and Rotor for HAWT From Scrap.
Step 1: Marking the Pipe
The first thing was to mark out the pipe.
I first used a length of angle iron to mark a line along the pipe, by using angle iron you get a perfect line and all your lines will be parallel.
Once the first line was marked i measured the circumference of the pipe and devide it by 3 to give the spacing for the other lines. I marked the distance on the back of the tape measure so i could wrap the tape around the pipe for a more accurate mark.
Once you have the equal distances marked use the angle to mark a lines.
Step 2: Cutting
Once the pipe was marked out i clamped it to the bead of my wood lathe for cutting.
I used a jigsaw to make split the pipe into the 3 segments. each segment would make 2 blades so i would have 6 blades from this pipe.
Once the first cut is made rotate the pipe and clamp again, after the second cut a segment will be removed from the pipe. The pie then was able to be pushed down onto the lathe bead where it sat nice and steady for the final cut.
Step 3: Marking and Cutting the Segments.
I marked each of the segments 1 1/2" in at each end and used a chalk line to mark a line along the segment. the chalk line did not show up to good so I used a sharpie marker to redraw the line before cutting.
I was able to use the bandsaw for cutting the segments.
Step 4: Sanding and Finishing.
Once the segments where all cut i picked the 3 blades that where the best looking of the bunch.
I sanded the blades on the sanding table and removes any fine burs with wire wool to give a smooth edges.
Step 5: The Rotor.
The rotor came from a washing machine drum and is attached to the drum with press in rivets. to remove these either split the aluminum tube the rivet is pressed into or grind the top flat and center punch it and drill the rivet out.
I marked the holes on each arm 75mm center to center and drilled with a 6mm drill bit.
Step 6: The Bearings.
The bearing casing is moulded into the plastic drum of the washing machine and need to be cut free. you can either smash the tub up or cut it out if you have a use for the rest of the tub.
To remove the bearing case from the tub I used a angle grinder to cut into the segments on the base of the tub, I also did the same on the inside of the tub too.
I then used a a hand axe to hack out the bearing case but not totally destroy the tub, I plan to use the remainder of the tub to make some kind of planter.
Step 7: Attach the Blades and Add the Bearing Cage.
I clamped the blades in position on each arm and drilled the blade for the outermost holes first.
Once all 3 blades where attached I lined up the first blade and drilled the hole for the second bolt. i then used the the tape measure to make sure the tips of the blades where at equal distances. Once all the blades where set i drilled the rest of the holes and bolted the blades on to the rotor.
I was now able to test the rotor to see if the blades worked. They worked very well, so well that I decided It would be much safer mounted on a test stand than me just holding the bearing casing.
The blades will need some sanding here and there to make them perfectly balanced, I will do this in the tweaking stage before I mount the turbine on a pole.
I hope you like my idea for a scrappy solution to the problem of making a rotor for a wind turbine.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.