Introduction: Paint Shirts Like a Pro! (on a Budget)
Not super professional, but it looks great once you get the hang of it.
Simple supplies and a pretty easy project with end results of people asking you where you bought that shirt and you can proudly say you made it!
Step 1: Supplies
- T-shirt ( lighter shirts look best when painted)
- Freezer paper (with plastic coating)
- Paintbrushes (I find the flat tipped ones paint best)
- Xacto knife
- Acrylic paint (any acrylic paint should work)
- Textile medium
- Cut two pieces of freezer paper the same size
one will be put inside the shirt and ironed into place
- place the second piece on top of your shirt and sketch your design
- Next on a flat surface properly draw your design and cut it with your xacto knife, try not to cut it to much or your pieces may get misplaced.
Flip the shirt inside out and iron the plain piece to the desired area
Flip it back and iron the cut piece in place. Peel away the cut design you want to paint first, adding extra paper where needed.
Step 3: Painting
Mix the paint and textile medium according to the instructions on the medium ( in my experience ,however, i found a 50/50 mix works best)
Start by painting the areas surrounded by paper
As you paint more sections be careful not to overlap previously painted parts
Once painted tear away the rest of the freezer paper only from the front
Step 4: Finishing Up...
Let the paint dry for a bit then prepare a hot dry iron and place a piece of cloth over the shirt
Evenly iron the painted piece for 20 seconds
Once done ironing, remove the inside paper.
Lastly, hang the shirt to dry completely
Do not wash the shirt for a week once painted, as to not disturb the paint.
You can paint designs as simple or as complex as you want depending on your skill level
Step 5: Warnings
The backing is very important or else the paint will bleed and get on the other side
Be cautious with darker shirts, you may want to keep painting to get a better colour, but if you do the paint will get to thick and crack while being worn.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.