Its easy to go Paleo, but eventually in this modern world we find a need for Paleo fast food or Paleo treats. Thats the nice thing about the Paleo diet. Most of us dont have to follow it 100% to get great results, and we get to eat great foods.
There are basically two ways to get Paleo fast food.
You purchase it, or you make it yourself.
Step 1: You Buy Paleo Fast Food
Many Paleo dieters purchase salads and hamburgers or chicken sandwiches, and add the meat to the salad. In this way you are avoiding the grains in the buns. There are also specialty salads available. Wendys in particular has a number of specialty salads that make good Paleo fast food. Try the Apple Pecan chicken salad. Leave off the cheese and easy on the dressing and you have a pretty decent Paleo fast food meal.
The Chicken BLT Cobb salad is another one that is easily modified. Or you can order a garden salad and add the meat from cheaper hamburger and chicken sandwiches. You could buy a jr. bacon burger and add the meat to your salads.
The main point of Paleo is to eliminate the grains and dairy from your diet. These are the foods that make us fat, and cause autoimmune problems..
Step 2: Be Prepared and Bring It Yourself
In addition to this there are a number of great Paleo friendly products that you can probably find at your local health food or whole foods market.
Larabars are very popular fruit and nut bars that are like a mini dessert. They also give you good nutrition and energy. Another great bar is made by Nogii. They offer three types of Paleo friendly snack bars. If you are looking for Paleo cookies, have no fear, Caveman Cookies are probably available near you,or you can order them online. A company called Julian bakery offers Paleo brownies and other tasty Paleo treats.
Next we come to the last step, baking your own Paleo fast food and treats.
Step 3: Making Your Own Paleo Fast Food
Here is a typical recipe from Paleohacks Cookbook.
Paleo Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 1/2 of a small onion, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup of almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon.of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. bacon fat or coconut oil for browning
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 cup of grape jelly natural if possible
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/8 cup of raw honey, warmed if you like a sweet sauce otherwise omit
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1. Combine the meatball ingredients into a large mixing bowl and combine by hand. Shape the meat into aprox. 1-inch balls.
2. Place a large saucepan over medium high heat and add the coconut oil or bacon fat. Lightly brown the meatballs on all sides and set to the side. Drain the fat from pan.
FOR THE SAUCE:
1. Combine all of the sauce ingredients in large saucepan overa medium heat and stir to combine. Bring just to a boil stirring often, then reduce heat to low.
2. Taste the sauce and adjust the flavorings and seasonings . Add more raw honey to increase sweetness, and more vinegar to increase the sour.
TO COOK THE MEATBALLS:
1. Add the browned meatballs to a large saucepan and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir the meatballs gently intermittently .
2. Serve the meatballs with the sauce speared with toothpicks.