This was a very easy project that ended up adding quite a bit to my computer room. Materials were around 25 dollars for the entire project.
Step 1: Step 1: Remove Trim / Receptacle Covers
Before it was just a plain blue wall. So I removed the cover plate from the receptacles and I removed the trim on that wall. NOTE: I used my multi-tool with a wood blade to cut out the thickness of the pallet wood (which is was 3/4 inch thick) and the OSB I will be putting on (which is 1/2 inch thick). So a total of 1 and 1/4 inches.
Step 2: Step 2: Prepare the Backer
I then cut my backer, which is used for nailing, to fit against the wall...My little buddy likes to help...I told him to cover his ears.
The pic of the Sawzall was me cutting out for the receptacle.
I'm painting the nailing backer black because none of the pallet boards are perfectly straight. So keeping in mind that the boards may have slight gaps, I figured you wouldn't see any of the OSB if it was painted black.
Step 3: Step 3: Install the Nailing Backer
I ended up cutting the sheet of OSB 1/4 inch smaller that the width of the wall, leveled it up and used 1 5/8 drywall screws to fasten it to the wall. Before I placed the OSB, I located every stud on the wall and with a level, I drew a line up so I knew where to place the screws.
Step 4: Step 4: Prepare and Install Pallet Wood
The first photo is a picture of the pallet wood I used. This is 3 and 3/8 of an inch wide and I stained it with Minwax Red Mahogany #225. Second pic was 5 and 3/8 of an inch thick, I used Minwax Jacobean. I squared up both ends of the pallet wood.
This first piece was pushed tight to the wall and leveled. I nailed it using my finishing nailer and for the nails I used 2 inch 16 gauge nails.
Each row was also staggered in no particular order. For the receptacle, I bought an extension box. It's crooked in the picture, but I fixed it after.
I had to use my table saw for the top row to rip it down to the proper width.
Step 5: Step 5: Admire Your Project
It's a bit messy, but heres what the wall looks like completed. I used no polyurethane and i didn't sand any boards. I also left the trim off the accent wall. It wasn't necessary because the pallets concealed the gap between the carpet and wall.
For a more detailed video of this project and other projects like this one, please visit my YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/c/adamfleisch
Thanks for looking!