Introduction: Pallet Shelves. No Big Tools
I wanted to build something with pallets but only using basic hand tools as that is all I have.
spade (for breaking up the pallets)
circula saw (not essential hand saw is fine)
a few pallets (works well if you have one with long spaser bars)
Step 1: Break Up Pallets
Break up pallets every one has their own method.
My method: take it apart the reverse way to how it went together
1. Drop the palet on a corner a few time then rotate to the next corner and repeat this will start to loosen the nails
2. use a flat spade, bar or bit of wood to pri up the slats starting at one and and working back (i found a spade worked well as a pri bar it also slot between tight slats and you can jam it close up to the nails)
( once you have taken off all the loose slats you can drop it on the corners again to help lossen up the rest)
3. denail, the nails should be fairly straight and loosened by dropping it on the corner so you can usually bang them out they way they went in then use a claw hammer to finish off
Step 2: Lay Out Your Design
I used the fat bits of the up right then the slats for the shelves and supports.
Make sure you measure where you finally plan to put it, it looked smaller in my garden then my play room so I ended up cutting it down and losing the bottom shelf in the end.
Once you have seleted, mark them up so you know where they go.
Sand and plain the pieces you want to use to your desired finish (they are pallets imperfection = character)
Step 3: Make the Frame
1. cut the 3 back slats (red lines) to the same length
2. cut the 3 upright (green lines) to the same length
3. place the upright face down
4. screw the top and bottom back slats to the uprights using one screw in each corner
TIP: you can use some glue also, pre drilling the back slats the wood can split when screwing close to the ends)
5. flip the whole thing onto its back and make sure it is all square by measuring across both the diagonal (from corner to corner blue arrows) and making sure it is the same.
5a. If they are not give the long diagonal a knock and check again.
6. flip it over and put at least 4 screw in each back support.
7. screw the top and the bottom on and check its all square (it is not to late to loosen off the screws and give it a little tap if needed)
Step 4: Notching Out the Uprights and Shelves
1. clamp your straight edge onto the frame + the distance of the guide on you circular saw
2. set the depth you want to cut on your saw (my uprights weren't the same thickness as my shelves so I only took about 30mm out of the uprights)
3. make 2 cuts one in each upright
4.place the self against the straight edge and hold in place
5. make a second cut this will take into account that some of the shelves aren't even thickness
6. make some more cuts between your first and second cuts this will make it easier to chisel out the slots
7. chisel out the slots
8. check the fit and adjust if needed
9. place the shelf in the slots and mark up
10. use the same method to cut the notches out of the shelf.
TIP: make sure you cut enough out your shelf ,I cut 50% of the width
WATCHOUT: some of my joints were quite tight and I split the end of the shelf when putting it together. if this happens just keep them until the end and glue them back on when you glue it all together.
(if you don't have a circular saw you can do this all with a hand saw)
11: repeat for all the other shelves
12. glue the shelves in (and any bits that have split off)
Step 5: Finish, Install, and Enjoy
1. give a light sand if needed
2. you can finish it however you like. You guys are more arty than me so go nuts. I used 2 coats of clear varnish with a light sand in-between
1. drill for holes in the back slats
2. offer it up to the wall and mark your holes (you might need a hand to hold and level it)
3. use some raw plus and screws or what ever you normally use. I used some thunderbolts
4. stand back and feel proud
5. fill with all your other projects, tools and stuff
Thank you for reading this is my first instructable so if you would like any more details or have any comments please feel free,or if there is to much or not enough detail