Introduction: Pancake & Muffin - Indian Method
Appam is a type of pancake made with fermented rice batter and coconut milk.It is popular food in South India and Sri Lanka. It is eaten as breakfast or dinner. This recipe is not the traditional style of making appam, but my own variation and one which I find easy to prepare with the ingredients available in US.
Usually in India they cook the pancake from this batter, but i am making the muffin as well as pancake from the same batter. The fermentation process of the batter is natural.
Step 1: Ingredients
Ingredients for batter (1 cup = 250 ml)
- Raw rice (Sona Masuri, Basmathi or any variety), 1 cup
- Idli rice or Idli rava or parboiled rice , 1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds, 1 Teaspoon
- Urad dal , 1/4 cup
- Cooked rice, 1/2 cup (a fistful)
- Coconut, 1 to 1 1/2 cup (grated) or 1 cup of thick coconut milk
- Sugar, 1 Tablespoon
- Salt, 1 teaspoon or as required
- Water, as required for grinding
Additional Ingredients for Indian muffins (1 cup = 250 ml)
- Ghee or Butter, 1 Tablespoon
- Cashewnuts, 1/4 cup chopped
- Raisins, 1/4 cup
- Cardamom, 1 Teaspoon
- Jaggery or Brown sugar, 1/2 cup ( adjust as per your taste)
- Baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon (optional)
- Oil as required
Step 2: Equipments
- Blender / Mixer / Grinder
- Microwave or Electric Idli Steamer/ Pressure Cooker with Idli mould (I used stove top pressure cooker)
- Fry pan with lid (6 or 8 inch diameter)
- Spatula & Large spoon
Step 3: Soaking & Grinding
- Rinse both the regular rice, idli rava together for a couple of times. Be careful while rinsing idli rava as it is very small.
- Rinse urad dal, fenugreek seeds together in another bowl.
- Soak them 7 to 9 hours or overnight.
Grinding ( I used blender )
- First drain and grind the urad dal, fenugreek into a smooth paste and transfer it to a bowl.
- Drain and grind the raw rice, idli rava, cooked rice, and coconut together into a slightly grainy texture. Add the previous grinned paste and blend it to thick batter.
- Pour the batter into a large bowl.
Step 4: Batter Fermentation
- Add sugar and salt to the batter. Stir well
- Keep aside for fermentation overnight or for about 10 to 12 hours or more if required. In cool areas keep it overnight, in oven with lights on.
- The batter will increase in volume and doubles a little bit with lot of bubbles.
Step 5: 1 Making Muffin (Sweet Idli)
- Heat pan and fry chopped cashew nuts. When it turns golden, add raisins and fry for 30 seconds
- Pour 2 cups of thick batter into a bowl, add cardamom, jaggery/ brown sugar, cashew, raisins and baking soda. Mix well.
- Meanwhile put water in the steamer or pressure cooker and let it boil.
- Grease muffin or idli moulds with oil and pour 3 tablespoon of batter in each moulds.
- Put the moulds into steamer and steam cook for 10 minutes.
- Let it cool for 5 minutes and remove muffins from moulds.
- Enjoy the muffins.
Serve muffins for breakfast, dinner or evening snack.
Step 6: 2 Making Pancake (Aapam)
- Take 1 cup of batter, adjust water so that the consistency of the batter will be thin but not too watery.
- Add baking soda and mix well.
- Heat pan, smear 1/2 teaspoon oil and pour 1 large spoon of batter.
- Hold the handle and swirl it, so that the batter spreads evenly in a round shape and close it with lid.
- This pancake cooks only on one side.
- Pancake is done when sides are golden brown.
- Remove lid and gently lift the pancake with spatula.
- Enjoy the lacy pancakes.
Serve pancake hot or warm with sweetened milk/coconut milk,or chickpea curry or vegetable stew anytime.
Step 7: Tips for Pancake
- If the holes are really big and batter not sticking to pan, the batter is very thin. Add more batter to adjust the consistency.
- If pancake is coming heavy, then batter is very thick and needs to be diluted with water.
- If batter is not browning properly, it means batter is not fermented enough or very less sugar has been added.
- If pancake comes yellow instead of white, then too much baking soda. Add more batter to adjust the soda.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.