This instructable will show you how to easily throw together some movieprop.
Created to simulate the effect of when opening a chest full of gold, or a box filled with mystery. <-- Hence the title "Pandoras Box"
It was done in about 5-6h.
Step 1: What do we need?
First of all, we need a fancy box.
Create one yourself, or buy one.
This is a jewelrybox from the beginning, but now it contains all kinds of evil.
It has a handy mirror inside to help reflect the light from the inside.
Then we need :
- Thermal compund (?) To transfer heat from the
- LED Diode. In this case a powerful XML-T6 from Cree.
- LM350- Voltage Regulator, but we will be using it for Current Control.
- A huge heatsink.
- 9V Battery or Minimum 6,5V (The more exact to 6,5, the better)
- Resistors at 0.47 Ohm. 5W+ capable preferrably.
- Microbreaker. When pressed, the light is OFF, when not pressed (lid up) it's on.
- Cables cables and cables!
- Coloured plastic! - Thin
- A normal switch, I/O.
- Misc. Tools like scissors, screwdriver etc.
But if you scavenge alot, you will get away with 10$
Step 2: Hooking it up
First let's connect it all together to see how this simple but effective this current-limiter is.
How the math is done and how it works is greatly described HERE from Artificial Intelligence.
I use two, 0.47 Ohm Resistors at parrallel and a LM350, since i will be driving ~2,67A to the LED.
The LED and lm350 should be electrically isolated from eachother.
The Voltage regulator is connected to the LED (check the link above)
The Led is connected to the Microswitch, which in turn is connected to the battery.
And the battery is connected to a normal on-off switch, which ends in the voltage regulator again.