Step 1: Inredients
To make puri:
1 cup Semolina
3 tblsp All Purpose Flour
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
Oil to deep fry
To make pani:
2 cups Water
2 tblsp roasted Cumin Seed Powder
1/2 cup Cilantro Leaves
3 Green Chilly
1 cup Mint Leaves
1 tblsp Black Salt
2 tblsp Tamarind Pulp
Salt to taste
Chaat Masala (Indian Spice)
To make stuffing:
1/2 cup boiled dried yellow peas/ small chickpeas
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp Red chilly powder
1/4 cup fine chopped onions
Step 2: How to Make Puris
- Mix semolina, baking soda and salt in a wide mouth vessel. Now add warm water little by little to knead a stiff dough. The stiffness should be same as for the puris. Cover it with a fresh wrap and keep it aside for 10 mins.
- Now make small equal lemon sized balls of the dough. Do remember to keep them covered with fresh wrap while making more balls.
- Now with the help of some dry all purpose flour, roll out thin rotis. Cut them into round shape with the help of a round cookie cutter standard size 1.5’’.
Points to remember before frying :
- Always ensure that the oil is hot before frying otherwise the puris will soak in excess oil and will not puff. Put a small testing puri. If it comes up fast then the oil is rightly hot.
- Also the oil should not be smoking hot or the puris will get burnt and dark.
- Heat oil in a deep bottom pan and put 3 - 4 puris in the pan and fry them with the help of a slotted spoon.
- While frying, press them from the center and allow them to puff up. We want a pocket in each and every puri.
- Now flip them over and let them cook. Take them out on a kitchen towel when they are light brown and crisp. Don't let them get dark in color.
Step 3: How to Make Pani
- Grind in a hand blender cilantro, mint leaves and green chilies to make a fine paste.
- Mix the green paste , salt, black salt, cumin powder, tamarind pulp, and chaat masala into water.
- Adjust the spices and tanginess according to taste.
Step 4: How to Make Stuffing
In a bowl mix yellow peas, red chili powder and salt and onion.Keep aside.
Step 5: How to Serve
· Make a small hole on a puri by tapping slowly on the crisp side.
· Fill some stuffing in the center and fulfill the puri with the prepared pani.
· Stir the pani before using to get all flavor.
To fasten the process even further, you can follow below process:
· First make the dough and rest it for ten minutes.
· In the mean time prepare the Stuffing and Pani
· Then put the oil to Heat up and prepare puris.