Introduction: Paper Bag Luminarias
Lets create a Paper Bag Luminaria! It is very similar to carving a pumpkins, however, it is more simple and less mess.
Step 1: Materials Needed
Gather the following materials:
- Large paper grocery bag
- Xacto knife
- Cutting matte
- Battery powered candle
- Stencil (optional)
*Do not use a real candle because it will be a fire hazard.
Step 2: Outline Your Design
Using a pencil draw the design you would like to have on your luminaria. Center your design in the middle of the paper bag. You may use a stencil for this.
- For beginners use simple designs
- Think about how the shapes will look after you cut them out
- Recognize that there are restrictions to the design you will create. Any full outlines will need gaps to keep the inner pieces from falling off.
Step 3: Cutting Out Your Design
Tips for cutting out your design:
- Place your cutting matte inside the paper bag underneath the design you've drawn
- Using the xacto knife cut out the shapes, following the lines you've drawn. (see picture)
- After you have finished cutting a shape, gently push it out and cut out the next section.
WARNING: Be careful that you keep your fingers out of the way of the blades's path. The blade is sharp and can cut you.
Step 4: Open Up the Bag and Set It Upright
Be careful to not damage your design while opening it.
Step 5: Place the Electric Candle in the Bag
It is not recommended that you use a real flame because of the flammability of the paper bag.
Step 6: Enjoy!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.