Introduction: Paper Heart Basket
Hi! This instructable shows how to create a heart shaped basket out of paper!
If you'd like to watch this in video form, please click the video above :)
- The heart pattern here (or you can draw your own heart, but it needs to be similar in size or you will need to make adjustments)
- Paper (Heavier weight paper such as cardstock will work best, but any paper will work)
- Glue (I like to use hot glue because it is strong and holds very quickly)
- A paper cutter (this will really speed up the process - you will be cutting many strips of paper)
Step 1: Prepare All the Pieces
1. Start by tracing the heart pattern onto your paper of choice, then cut it out and set it aside.
2. Next, cut paper into one inch strips.
You will need:
- 12 strips that are 1" wide by 11" high. I used 10 pink and 2 red.
- 20 strips that are 1"wide by 5.5"high. I used 10 white and 10 red.
Step 2: Arrange the Pieces
3. Arrange 10 of the 5.5 inch pieces around one side of the heart. If you're using multiple colors, alternate them.
Be sure that each piece is sticking straight out from the side of the heart, perpendicular to the edge, if that makes sense. This will make the weaving process easier and nicer looking.
4. Glue the very end of each strip to the heart. Repeat this process on the other side of the heart.
Step 3: Create the Basket
5. Turn the heart over to the other side. Fold all the pieces inwards, towards the center of the heart.
6. Take an 11" piece and start weaving it into one side of the basket. Adjust it so it fits with the heart, and glue the bottom end to the last vertical piece on that side. Fold the little bit that is leftover at the top of the piece backwards, then glue it to the top right vertical piece. Go around the heart, and glue all of the outside pieces up to the piece you just wove in.
7. Repeat this with another 11" piece on the other side of the heart. Glue the end to the same place you glued the other one at the top of the heart. Fold back the little bit that is left over on the bottom end, and glue it to where you glued the end of the other piece. Glue all the outside pieces, once again.
8. Repeat this process with 6 more 11" pieces, using 3 on each side.
Step 4: Finish Off the Edges
9. Glue the top of all the inner and outer pieces to the basket.
10. Fold all of the leftover ends in towards the inside of the basket, then glue them to the inside.
11. Take two 11" pieces, and glue one along the top inside row, on each side. Trim the excess off the end.
12. Finally, add the handle. Glue the ends of two 11" pieces together. Place it into the basket, and decide where you want it, then glue it in place.
Step 5: And You're Done!
Thanks for viewing this Instructable!