Hello there! This Instructable shows how to create a heart shaped gift box out of paper.
If you'd rather see this in video form, please click the video above :)
I've broken this project down into many small steps, please don't be fooled into thinking it is difficult to make!
• You'll need the free patterns here: http://pugdemonium.blogspot.com/2017/02/diy-paper...
• Card stock or construction paper (this project works best with paper that is a bit heavier than regular paper)
• Hot glue
• Score tool or other tool to create a fold line (I used a Cricut Score Stylus)
Step 1: Prepare the Pieces
1. Print and cut out all the patterns, following the directions on them. Score and fold on the fold lines.
2. Trace the patterns onto your paper of choice and cut them out. Be sure to lift up the tabs and score all of the fold lines.
3. We're going to put the bottom of the box together first, so set aside the pieces for the lid so they don't get mixed up.
4. Take one of the box side pieces, and on the folded tab, cut vertical slits up to the fold that are less than a centimeter apart. Do this on the entire length of the tab.
5. Repeat on the other box side piece. This makes it so the pieces are able to bend around the shape of the heart.
Step 2: Start Creating the Box
The trick to making the box is to always keep the fold of the tab on the side piece right up against the edge of the heart, and to glue small amounts together at a time.
- Put a little hot glue at the end of the tab, and glue this to the bottom of the heart, making sure the fold is right against the edge of the heart.
- Press and hold until secure.
After this first area is attached, we'll be putting the glue on the bottom of the heart.
- Turn the heart over and put a short length of glue on the bottom of heart, right around the edge.
- Turn the heart back over, and quickly press the fold up against the edge of the heart, and press this until it is secure.
- Repeat this process again, turning the heart to the back to apply the glue, then turn the heart back over to hold the side in place.
Keep repeating this until you've reached the point on the bottom on the heart.
Step 3: Finish the Bottom of the Box
- You'll need to create a score line straight out from the point of the heart. It needs to be a straight and parallel to the end of the side piece as possible.
- You can use a ruler or even the edge of the pattern piece to help you score a straight line.
- Bend this on the fold around the point of the heart. Put glue on the bottom of the heart, and hold it in place until it is secure.
- Take the second box side piece and score a vertical fold line about 3/4" from the left side (with the tab side down.)
- Fold it backwards on the line, then cut off the bottom tab up to the fold line.
- Place this at the top of the heart, so this tab we've just created is on the inside of the heart and the tab with the "fringe" is on the outside bottom of the heart.
- Hot glue the tab we created to the inside of the heart, making sure the edge of the side piece is pressed against the fold of the tab we created.
For the rest of the box, do exactly the same as before, where we put the glue on the bottom of the heart and pressed the side in place.
- Continue until you get to the point of the heart, where you'll need to put glue on the end of the other side and press the two sides together.
If you'd like the bottom of the box to look more polished, trace another copy of the heart box pattern and glue it over the top.
Step 4: Create the Lid
- Gather the pieces for the lid. Take one of the side pieces and on the tab cut vertical slits up to the fold line, once again keeping them less than a centimeter apart.
- Unlike the box, to create the lid we'll be glueing the sides to the inside of the heart. With the heart piece turned so the good side is facing down, put a short length of glue on the inside edge of the heart. Press the tab of the side piece in place, making sure the edge is lined right up with the edge of the heart.
- Keep repeating this, glueing small amounts at a time, until you've reached the point of the heart.
- Fold on the fold line there, and glue in place so the side goes around the point of the heart.
- On the other side piece, cut about an inch of the tab fringe off the right side.
- Glue the right end of this piece to the end of other side piece, and glue a short length of tab to the inside of the heart.
- Repeat the process of glueing the tab around the edge of the heart until you get to the top.
- Fold on the scored line there, and glue the end to the inside of the other side.
Step 5: And You're Done!
That's it! Just fill the box with candy and put it together.
Thanks for viewing this Instructable and good luck!