Introduction: Paper Mache Dinosaur
Third Prize in the
Papercraft Contest 2017
Here is the finished product first.
Step 1: Chicken Wire
I started off with a rough shape using chicken wire.
Step 2: Lots of Newsprint and Lots of Flour/water Mix.
I had a newsprint pad lying for sketches. I cut it up into strips and used that for layering the paper mache.
Step 3: Raising the Cowl
I decided the cowl was to short. So i cut some more chicken wire and laced into the existing cowl and covered it in more paper mache.
Step 4: Adding Definition
I used rolled up bits of aluminum foil to add depth around the eyes, horns and beaks and covered it with more paper mache.
Step 5: Mounting
I had a table top that I had left over from a previous project. I had bought it from Home Depot for about $10. I also had small trash bin in the basement. I attached the two using some screws and balanced the head as centered as possible. I then used a lot of duct tape attaching the head to the base and at the same time forming the basic neck shape. I then covered it with more paper mache.
Step 6: Adding Detail
I wanted to add more detail to the eyes and mouth area. I again used what I had lying around which was a fire based clay. It really shrunk and cracked on me which i used drywall mud and countless time sanding. I should have used a paper clay with less shrinkage and saved a lot of time.
Step 7: Primer
After sanding half a day away I finally got it to where it was acceptable and laid down a coat of spray on primer
Step 8: Painting
I then brushed on "Metal Effects" copper paint by Modern Masters Inc. and applied a blue aging patina to the skin and used a layering of paints on the horns and beak. After the patina did its thing I went back and with more copper to balance out the piece. I added a meaty sawtooth hanger and attached it to the wall. Let me know if you have any questions.
Step 9: Finished Shots
Here it is hung in all its paper mache glory!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.