I've been wanting to make this mobile for a while and a friends wedding is coming up soon, which means it won't have to live at my mobile-saturated house anymore.
The construction was pretty simple if a little time consuming. The main difficulty lay in balancing the thing after due to limited branch options. It turned out well, but is balanced quite precariously. I debated putting leaves on it but after trying them out decided against it.
While researching construction methods, I found many examples of paper magnolias made from crepe paper. They all looked great but lacked the fleshy petals I associate with magnolias. I wanted something that gave the appearance of more volume. To this end, I settled on pressing wet card stock to create a concave petal.
The whole thing took ~30 hours and cost ~$6.00 for the paper. I only spent one walk looking for the right branch, considering how integral it is, next time I'd spend a bit more time trying to find the right one.
Step 1: Materials
To make this mobile you will need some materials:
- Assorted card stock
- White glue
- Palette for glue
- Glue applicator
- Watercolour paints
- A branch or two
- Bowl of water
- Masking tape
- Small rock