It is design time...
To get a proper 3-D look, you will have to make blocks of three diamond shaped pieces stitched together. Each diamond shape will be of two equilateral triangles combined together to form the pattern, having 120o
obtuse angle and 600
acute angle as shown in the sketch. The top piece of a block will be of lighter color and the sides will be dark of varying colors.
- The complete pattern will have three blocks lengthwise and two blocks width-wise. Additional edge pieces will make a rectangular quilted piece.
- Measure your existing or newly bought pillow form and note down the length and width.
- With reference to the design you made, find out the actual measure of sides required to cover the pillow form. In my case, it worked out to be 10 centimeters
- So, my diamond shaped piece will have sides of 10 centimeters each.
- Make a template using a thick paper to a diamond shape having 10 centimeter sides.
- You need to add 1 to 1.25 centimeters on all sides for cutting the fabric, to be folded over the paper pattern
- Make another template for cutting fabric with about 1 to 1.25 centimeters extra on all sides. You can see the templates I have made for paper piecing and for cutting fabric in the pictures here.