Step 1: List of Materials Required:
you will not require to spend any money to buy them.
The materials required are as follows:
(1) A thick (rather stiff) sheet of paper.
(2) A HB pencil.(preferably 3B,4B or 6B)
(3) A ruler or scale.
(4) Few metal paper clips.(will be used as the pins of the resistor)
(5) A multimeter or ohm meter to measure the resistance and calibrate your
(6) pair of scissors.
Step 2: Lets Make It !!!
(1)First take the sheet of paper(as i have told before it should be stiff and rough).
(2)Cut a small strip out of it.(as I have shown in the picture).
Step 3: Start Scribbling !!!!
(1) Take a scale/ruler and your HB pencil and place the ruler near one side(the lenght i.e. the longer side) of the strip at about 0.5cm.
(2) Draw a demarker line with the ruler
(3) Now rub and scribble your pencil in the demarked area (as hard as you can !!).
*It is better if you scribble in a linear way ,horizontally and carefully seeing that no space is left blank in that area.
*If you use here a thin paper then it will tear off so I again recommend to use a stiff paper.
Step 4: Time to Work Seriously!!
Before starting with this part,
PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT:
- the area beyond the demarked one (where we have scribbled) is clean as while scribbling you have may have touched the other part of the paper,so rub off the ajoining area with an eraser-neatly!
(1) Put the clip to the starting point of your strip(i.e. on the most lefthand side).
(2) See to it that the clip is firmly put (as shown in the figure)
(3) Next to this clip, put another clip ,leaving a space of around 1/2 to 1 cm.
(4) Connect your multimeter probes to the clip and check the resistnance.
(5) Adjust the position of the second clip to get the desired resistance.
(6) After getting the desired resistance ,see that the clip is frimly stuck.
(7) I have made actually here a variable capacitor like taht used in a light dimmer , so you can see in the photo that i have stuck two clips as the other pin of the resistor . The clips as so calibrated that the resistance difference between two clips is of 10 k ohms.You can calibrate many clips side by side with specific resistance interval and can make your own light dimmer !!
Step 5: Limitations,Experimentation and Applications -
I hope you liked my first instructable.If you have any suggestions or comments or questions you can tell me freely in the comment space or can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org