Pretty easy project for a custom, homemade paper cup LED lamp.
LEDs don't put out much heat or use much power to operate so this is cost effective and safe (just make sure to always follow proper electrical assemblage procedures)
*Requires minor soldering and basic electrical knowledge.
Step 1: Gather supplies
Ok, so you need some supplies:
1.) For Paper Lamp:
- 4 paper cups
- Tissue paper (optional)
- Hot glue gun
- Exact o Knife
2.) For Lamp Lighting:
- 5 LEDs
- Electrical tape
- 3 volt power adapter (Radioshack or something around the house, but make sure it is not above 3 volt otherwise it will burn out LEDs)
- Soldering iron
- Wire cutter
Step 3: Shape Paper cup pieces
- Roll up one unfolded paper cup and glue with hot glue gun.
- Cut out designs with exacto knife on two unfolded paper cups for lamp shade
- Glue three bottom paper cup pieces (as shown in pic) with hot glue gun.
Step 4: Make lamp shade
- Glue one side of the paper cups together first so you can lay the whole shade flat to make tissue paper cut-out (As shown in picture).
- Trace lamp shade on tissue paper and cut out.
- Glue the cut out tissue paper on inside of lamp shade.
- Finally, glue other side to complete lamp shade.
* Tissue paper optional, up to you
Step 5: Wire LEDS
- Gather the 5 LEDs and twist the positive leads together, be sure to get this correct because LEDs will only work one way
- Use some solder to help bond the leads together and affix a length of wire that is about one foot in length
- Tape the positive and led leads with electrical tape so they won't touch and short out.