Step 1: You Will Need...
First things first, for this project you will need :
- Paracord ( lots of it ) I started with 60m (196 ft.) and had maybe 15m left after I finished.
But better be safe than sorry on this point :)
- 2m (6.5ft ) of some light chain, the kind you find on lamps or that holds your sink plug.
- Duct tape and/or electrical tape
- 1 "Big" Nail ( Big meaning that it would do the trick as a handle )
- Some medium width string to tie the cracker
- Something that cuts ( my trusted Surge in that case)
- Something that makes fire to neatly melt the ends of your butchered paracord.
A Zippo is a nice choice, it will get you a nice flame and stand on the desk by itself while you use both hands to melt/cut the paracord over the flame.
- Measuring tape
Optionally you might find useful to have:
- Some kind of marlinspike needle for dressing the fancy knots.
- A file or some kind of grinder or Dremel tool to cut grooves in the "handle"
- A spot to tie the whip to while you're plaiting ( holding it between my knees worked well in my case ) you could also use a lightly tightened vice.
Also this project works with mainly gutted paracord so you will end up with vast amounts of unused inner strands.
Let me know if you think making a hammock, net or bag out of them would be an interesting Instructable :)