Introduction: Parrot AR Drone Mirumod - RC Transmitter Mod Howto Guide
In this video I show how to solder and install the mirumod on my Parrot AR.Drone (specifically version 1.0). I don't have the 2.0's so can't get into too much details about it so please check the latest documentation regarding the newer versions of the AR.Drone 2.0's. Even though I'm demonstrating this mod on a AR.Drone 1.0, a lot of the information is still relevant to the newer models with regards to the programming and testing. Just make note of the necessary LLC (logic level converter) for the AR.Drone 2.0 or you'll FRY it!
This is an update to a video I did back in 2010 which used a Yellow Jacket to talk via WiFi to the Parrot AR.Drone 1.0. The mirumod by miru allows you to use your Parrot AR.Drone with a regular RC radio transmitter (Spektrum DX6i / Turnigy 9x / etc). This is an improved mod that doesn't require WiFi and you don't need to use your iOS or Android device. It uses an Arduino Pro Mini and plugs directly into port under ARDrone. Unplugging it will return it to factory.
Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any damage to you or your device. Please read all current documentation because the information could be out of date by the time you watch this video.
- Arduino Pro Mini, 5v, ATMega328 - https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11113
- FTDI programmer - https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11113
- Drivers: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11113
- Right angle pins for FTDI - https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11113
- Servo extension wires - https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11113
- 4.7k ohm resistor for TXO pin (AR.Drone 1.0)
- You can also use a LLC (logic level converter), but since my AR.Drone is the older 1.0, a resistor was good enough
- 2mm headers for AR.Drone 1.0 - http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Harwin/M22-71...
- LLC (logic level converter), You have to have this or you'll FRY the Drone 2.0+ http://mirumod.tk//hw/mirullc/mirullc.php
- See schematics on how to wire it http://mirumod.tk/hw/arduino_pro_mini/arduino_pro...
- 2mm male headers for AR Drone 2.0 - http://mirumod.tk/hw/arduino_pro_mini/arduino_pro...
Radio system I'm using a Spektrum DX6i transmitter (TX) and AR6100e receiver (RX), but will probably switch to my Turnigy 9X. You can use any programmable radio system as long as it has 5 or more channels. FrSky Taranis, Walkera Devo 7e/10, Spektrum DX6/7/8/9, and many others. Just make sure you test it throughly with the serial monitor to ensure all the controls are working right before doing a test flight.
Documentation and schematics: http://mirumod.tk/hw/arduino_pro_mini/arduino_pro...
3D printed bottom plastic cover plate Thingiverse. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1132554
This is a very involved project with lots of components and issues that can pop up so take your time. You'll be a better person after it's all done :)
If you can't be bothered with all this nonsense, you can buy it from miru himself! I It's a tiny all-in-one board with the drone connector, USB, and LLC (Logic Level converter) that you just plug into your Drone and configure your transmitter. http://mirumod.tk//hw/mirupcb/mirupcb.php