Party crackers are a British tradition around Christmas, but really should be used to celebrate any event! Here are easy instructions so you can make your own and fill them with great loot - both traditional and customized to fit your needs.
I first learned about Christmas crackers during my visit to England last December, and have been obsessed with spreading their word ever since. As you'll learn along the way of this story, there are special traditions and techniques involved in both the making and popping of these crackers that must be observed. But as for the toys you choose to fill them with, let your imagination go wild!
Step 1: Round Up
- Optional: Pre-printed die cut Christmas Cracker tubes or:
- Cardboard tubes (toilet paper tubes are perfect, but paper towel tubes can be cut to size)
- Double sided tape
- Heavy clear packing tape or hot glue
- Scissors or X-acto knife
- Paper to cover the crackers
- Ribbon to tie off the crackers
- Tissue paper to make crowns
- Assorted Toys & Party Favors suited to the receivers / theme of the party
- Also optional: the cracker snaps that make it pop! You can salvage them from unused crackers, or buy them at a place like this. I did try to come up with some alternate solutions, but in the end, went with the original. They're really not necessary, as in all the excitement, you hardly hear the snap anyway.
Scoochmaroo is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Step 2: Jokes
There are plenty of websites to help you choose your favorite. Not all of them translate from British into American so well, so choose which ones are appropriate for your audience.
Print them out or hand-write them and cut them down into fortune-cookie-size slips.