Step 1: Supplies
- Boiled hot dog
- Empty Altoids can.
- Small white cotton cloth or napkin.
- Small piece of tin foil for the ring.
- Small package of sticker jewels for the ring.
- Red food coloring or ketchup.
- Small scrap of white paper for the note.
- Pen for the note.
- Turnip for the finger nail.
- Small paring knife to carve the finger.
- Finger flash light for the scream!
- Roll Scotch tape.
- Black construction paper to cover the lid.
- Small sticker package for embellishing.
- Small magnet to attach the finger flash light to the lid.
- Scissors for cutting the black paper to embellish the lid.
Step 2: Decorate The Lid
- You can leave the lid plain or decorate it like I did.
- Trace the lid over the black paper.
- Cut it out.
- Tape it to the lid.
- Add the stickers.
- Tape a magnet to the finger light.
- Stick it to the lid.
Step 3: The Ring
- Fold a small piece of tin foil to form a ring by folding it the size you need.
- Add the jewels.
- Over lap the ends to form the ring.
- Tape it.
- Stick a small piece of the tape to the ring so it will stick to the can with the stones showing.
- Place the ring in the can after the finger is made.
Step 4: Carving The Hot Dog
- This finger did not turn out as nice as my other one did and I figured out why.
- I did not trim one side of the finger on my other dog.
- Instead I trimmed the finger top like the picture shown and made a slit for the turnip fingernail to slide under.
- Trim a thin slice of the turnip.
- Form the finger nail.
- Slide it in the slit to look natural.
- Notice how I trimmed the hot dog leaving some flesh around the finger nail in picture 1.
I used a picture from a previous tutorial because I wanted to show how to make it look much better than this one.
Step 5: Wrap The Finger
You may want to practice different methods on a plate before placing the finger in the can.
You also want to apply the food coloring just prior to the prank for a more realistic effect.
- Wrap the finger in the white cloth or napkin to look real.
- Place it in the tin.
- Sprinkle a little red food coloring around the finger to look realistic.
- Add a couple of drops on the tin bottom in plain site.
- Write the note.
- Carefully flick a few drops of food coloring to the note. You might try using a tooth brush for that effect.
- Place the note in the can.
Step 6: Sunshiine's Final Thoughts
I hope this tutorial has been useful in choosing a prank for Halloween. Please stop in again soon and see what else I am making. I live here at Instructables! LOL! Meanwhile have a Happy Halloween and be safe!