Step 1: Ordering Lumber and Materials
I could have picked oak instead of douglas pine but that would almost double the price. A plus side of Douglas pine is that the wood is very soft and thus very easy to work with.
So I bought to following:
- 15x15cm Douglas pine for pillars and support beams 350 euro
- 2x20cm Douglas pine boards for cladding the sides and the rooftrimming 200 euro
- 4x4cm normal pine beams for roof support 50 euro
- OSB sheets (pressure glued sheets) 125 euro
- EPDM incl adhesive (rubber cloth like you use in ponds only better suited against UV from the sun) 300 euro
- Screws and wire ends 25 euro
End total is a bit more then the initially budgetted 1000 but hey, who's counting.
Step 2: Foundation
I chose for a simple and cheap solution: M20 wire ends. These pretty heavy wire ends are 30cm long en have 1 extra feature: you can use the nuts to adjust the pillar height in case you have made a error. I also made a few big washers (4x4cm) out of some steel plating. These go in between the nut and the wooden pillar.
Then it came down to carefully measuring out where the wire ends needed to go. I used rope and a tapemeasure to align everything and I eyeballed the depth of the wire ends. For each hole I used 1 bag (25kg) of quick drying cement. One of the corners was taken up by a big stone planterbox (hey, another instuctable about that pretty soon!) so I had to drill a hole in the stone. I made a very watery cement paste that I poured into the hole before I put the wire end in it. Well let's just say that will go nowhere anytime soon.
Step 3: Pillars and Beams
I started with cutting 5 wooden pillars to the exact same lenght. (and 1 shorter for ontop of the planterbox) You'll need to get the misses involved here since this step is crucial in sorting out the overall hight of your patio. So you don't get blamed afterwards. I believe we went with 2,15 meters.
Then I drilled a hole in the center of the pillar. Just draw a few lines from corner to corner to find the exact center. Before I put the pillars on the wire ends I poured a bit of constructionglue in the hole and made sure the nut and washer where at about the right hight on the wire end. As soon as the pillar was on the wire end I quicky braced it with a few scraps of wood and checked if the pillar was level and square. Note that you can still adjust the height with the nut. When all 6 pillars where in place I checked the measurements again and did some tuning up.
Now it was time for the beams. My method was simple: no measuring when you don't have to. Just put a beam ontop of 2 pillars and trace the end with a pencil or something sharp. You can't go wrong. Ofcourse you'll need to measure other things very carefully like the depth of the cuts for the joints. For the joints I chose the interlock the beams by cutting a half out of every beam so they would fit neatly into eachother. To fasten it I used woodglue and 20cm long self-drilling screws.
Step 4: Roofing
Anyway, the cheap pine beams and OSB is simply screwed inplace. Nothing fancy here. When that was done I made an upright ledge ontop of the roof around the edges. I made a diagonal cut along the lenght of a pine beam to get 2 exactly the same looking triangular shapes. I did this to avoid gleuing in the EPDM rubber in a 90 degree inward bend. The EPDM kit came with a gutter piece that took a bit of brutal hammering to get in the right shape.
Then it was time to get gleuing on the EPDM rubber. This stuff is exactly the same as the rubber you use in a pond except that it is better suited against the UV radiation from the sun that dry's out rubber over time. Whenever I need to glue in EPDM again I'm not going to do it the way I did it with this patio build. I glued up the first half and then the second half. Those pieces where way to big to handle since the rubber is massive and heavy. This stuff is very sticky aswell and it almost turned out wrong. I still have a few nasty folds that I couldn't roll out afterwards. Next time I will spread the rubber, lay it precisely in place and then roll it op to 1 side. Then i'll glue in 1 meter and roll down the rubber and continu this proces untill its done. In the end it turned out ok though.
Step 5: Finishing Up
lastly I added some DIY lighting (christmas lights crammed in a few lanterns) and some furniture to make the patio a bit more cosy. For that nice propellor in the last picture you can check my other instructables. And yes, I'm also making a instructable about that fireplace!