This is a guide made by 3 students Industrial Productdesign.
- Bram Van Damme
- Willem Messiaen
- Jorrit Grunewald
The purpose of this assignement is to make a tool that can be used to create a pattern on a material. Our group was assigned to PVC-foil.
After doing some search we decided to made a tool that can made a permanente fold in the PVC.
Enjoy the guide
Step 1: What Tools and Materials Do You Need?
- Wood ( we used a wooden plank from 20mm)
- Wood glue
- A handle
- An aluminium sheet
- Mounting glue
Step 2: Cut the Wood
We only need 4 wooden parts.
The dimension we used can you find in the picture. You dont need to use these dimension, you can make it as big or small as you want to.
Step 3: Make the Base
- The first step is to attach the back to the base plate.
Use wood glue to attach the back to the base plate, after the glue is dry screw the two togheter.
- Attach the hinges to the two small plank that are left
- Attach those plank on the base plate as showed in the picture.
- Draw a line at 70mm. Hollow this line out with some sandpaper.
Step 4: Instal the Handle
This handle ensures that everyone can use this tool, it makes it easier to press while folding the PVC-foil.
Step 5: Attach the Alluminum Sheets
The aluminium sheets has the same width as the small wooden planks and are 15mm shorter, so they wont be in the way of the hinges.
- The first aluminium sheet has to come on the bottomside of the plank with the handle.
The easiest way to do is to use mounting glue.
- The second sheet has to come 35mm from the plank on the base plate.
You need to screw these on the base plate.
ATTENTION, dont screw them to tight, the PVC-foil still need to slide easy under it.
These aluminium sheets has as purpose that the PVC-foil after heatened wont stick at the wood.
The aluminium sheet on the base plate is also needed as a guide for your fold and to keep the line you fold straight.
Step 6: Make It Precise
In this step we gonna make our tool precise. To do this first we need to do is decide where out origin will lie.
We took the middle of our baseplate as origin.
Draw with the marker your origin in the middle of the base plate against the aluminium sheet.
We decided to add some lines so we can fold at an angle. The lines are 0°,30°,45° and 60°.
Step 7: Install a Lock
While using this tool, it is easy if you dont need to press the small plate that hold the PVC on his place the whole time. Therefor we will install a sort of lock for this.
- Screw two screw, one in the small plate and in the base plate.
- Make a groove in the corner so the rope can just fit through it.
- Press the plank down and tighten the rope. Place a simple knot in the rope at the place were it went out of the groove.
Step 8: Finished
Your tool is now finished.
Step 9: What Can You Do With This Tool?
You can use this tool to fold the PVC how you want and create what you want
We made a bag with our tool. In the next part of the instructable we will show you how you can do this.
Step 10: Making a Bag
Things you need:
- PVC-foil ( you can choose the thickness or color)
- The tool
- A heater
- White pencel
- A ruler
Step 11: Cutting the Pattern
What do you need
- White pencil
- A ruler
Cut the PVC as in the picture above. The white lines are the lines that we will fold later on.
Step 12: Folding the PVC
- Take the tool and the PVC, slide the PVC under the aluminium sheet.
- Close the first plank so that the PVC won't move anymore.
- Heat the PVC, go back and forth with the heater for 3 times.
- Close the second plank and press it down for 5 seconds.
Step 13: Glue the Bag
- First you need to do is cut a line of 100mm on each white line. These flaps will make the bottom of the bag.
- Glue the ends of the PVC.
TIP: use some sandpaper on the PVC-foil so to glue will stick better
- Fold and glue the bottom
- Glue the handles on the back.
Enjoy your home made bag.