Introduction: Green Pea and Pistachio Biscotti
After discovering the joys of using freeze-dried corn in baked goods, I had to give some other dehydrated veggies a shot as well.
Green peas and pistachios are a classic and truly outstanding combination, and light and crisp biscotti seemed like as good a vehicle as any to showcase them. Brilliant green and delicious, the outcome was even better than I could have hoped for. These delicious little snacks are lightly sweet and perfectly highlight the nutty, creaminess of pistachios alongside the fresh and sweet hints of peas.
Step 1: You'll Need. . .
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/8 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Large pinch of salt
- Splash of vanilla extract
- 1 cup freeze-dried peas
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup shelled pistachios
- White chocolate for dipping (optional)
- Food processor or clean coffee/spice mill (or mortar and pestle) to grind the dried peas
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Sheet pan lined with parchment paper
- Serrated knife
Step 2: Visualize Whirled Peas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In the food processor or spice mill, grind the peas to a fine powder
- Combine with baking powder and salt and set aside
Step 3: Getting Doughy
- If your pistachios are still in the shell, shell and roughly chop them
- Combine the butter and sugar
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix well
- Pour in the ground peas, baking powder, salt, and flour and mix well
- Add pistachios and mix to combine
Step 4: Bake, Slice, Bake
- Form the dough into a log about 3 inches by 13 inches on a parchment-lined baking sheet
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until lightly golden brown on top
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes
- Using a serrated knife, cut into diagonal slices about a half-inch thick
- Place the slices on a baking sheet and bake about 10-15 minutes
- Allow to cool fully
- If you'd like, dip the cooled biscotti halfway into melted white chocolate (I'm not a big fan of white chocolate so I opted not to)
- Enjoy with your favorite latte or a cup of mint tea with lemon and honey!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.