Tinned pears are a fantastic thing to keep on hand, whether it be for breakfast, dinner or dessert.
Prep Time: 5-10 mins
Cooking Time: 10 mins
- a small knob of butter (optional)
- oil, for cooking
- 1 medium leek, roughly sliced
- 1x 400g/14oz. tinned pears, roughly chopped into small chunks
- 80-100g (3-3½oz.) pasta - I'm using mini shells
- ½ tsp dried thyme, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 50g (¾ cup) fresh parmesan, grated
- use 2 fresh pears instead!
- fresh thyme or tarragon is great too!
- use sharp, mature cheddar instead
- replace parmesan with "vegan-friendly Italian-style cheese" to make it vegan
Stir it up by adding any of the following:
- bacon or pancetta
- leftover chicken or turkey
- cannellini beans
Step 2: Let's Begin...
Drizzle in some oil and melt in the butter (if using) before tipping in the leek and pear.
Season with salt and pepper, along with the thyme (or tarragon) and then gently cook.
Pour in some of the starchy pasta water (around 4-5 tablespoons) and then sprinkle in some grated parmesan.
Once the cheese has melted, toss or shake the pan (or stir like fury) to emulsify the sauce.