This is a great project to know for those into survival. What I have done to expand this project is hook my homemade penny battery to a joule thief(coming soon) and I can run my higher brightness LEDs off the power it generates.
I know this has been done before, I just wanted to post my version.
Now let's get on to the project!!
Step 1: Gather the Parts
-Hot glue gun
-100 grit sandpaper (I used my dremel set that had a sandpaper tip. )
Alternative option is to use aluminum foil instead of sanding down the pennies, I did that in some of the pictures, but I prefer the sanded option, cutting tin foil into little circles sucks.
Materials needed :
-Pennies newer than 1983( the newer years penny's consist of around 98% zinc. )
-Cardboard ( I cut mine off a box, but I have used tissue paper, and wet wipes with success also. )
-Some form of electrolyte, I used salt and water, but I still haven't found the perfect mixture yet. (Still in testing stage)
Step 2: Prepare the Case
I have found that this container fits 6 penny's at a time which is enough to get at least 3 volts. I'm still toying around with it though to squeeze out all the volts I can.
Step 3: Setup the Penny's
(I like to put aluminum foil on the bottom to make testing the voltage easier, but that depends on preference.)
copper bottom -> zinc top -> cardboard -> repeat
That order equals out to one "cell", so you can stack up as many cells as needed. I have found I can get up to .7 volts each cell.
With how easily obtainable penny's are, I'm going to see how much voltage I can pull out of something like 50 penny's. =D
Step 4: Test Voltage.
Thanks for checking out this project!! I will be working on posting more soon!!