Step 1: Ingredients
2. One-and-one-third (1 1/3) cups of sugar, divided
3. Three-fourths (3/4) of a cup of butter (a stick and a half) [Alt version: Use one-half (1/2) a cup of butter and one-fourth (1/4) a cup of shortening. This will produce rounder cookies. Using all butter is healthier but causes the cookies the flatten a bit; I personally think using all butter also tastes better.]
4. Two (2) eggs
5. One (1) teaspoon peppermint extract
6. Three-fourths (3/4) a teaspoon of vanilla extract
7. Two and a half (2 1/2) cups of flour
8. One-fourth (1/4) a teaspoon of salt
You'll also want and need assorted measuring cups and spoons, a hand or stand alone mixer, a spatula or mixing spoon, a food processor, a mixing bowl, a small bowl, a small plate, foil, and a baking sheet
Step 2: Peppermint Crush
Toward the end add one-third (1/3) cup of sugar and mix in. Pour into small bowl and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Step 3: Mix It Up
[Alt. version: Cream shortening with the butter and sugar.]
Step 4: Baking
IMPORTANT: Place only six (6) cookies on the baking sheet at a time for best results.
Step 5: Final Dusting
This is where the small plate comes into play. I find that when I roll the hot cookies in the mixture, it melts it all together into a large hunk. So I cover a small plate with foil, place one cookie at a time on it, and use a spoon to cover the hot cookie with the peppermint mixture.
Once covered with the second coating, place the cookie on the rack or foil to cool.