Introduction: Perfect Apple Pie Cupcakes
Love the taste of baked apples, but not a fan of a huge slice of pie, or maybe even pie in general?! Try out these absolutely delectable cinnamon cupcakes with a fresh apple filling and a tastefully pie replicated design of cinnamon buttercream frosting!
These cupcakes are perfect for any occasion, especially in the fall after the first apple picking of the season!! The popular baking apples may be granny smith, but I've made these little pieces of heaven with a variety of different kinds, my favorite is still Gala.
The best way to create these wonders is to start off with the cupcake batter, then make the filling while they bake, and finally make the frosting while the cupcakes and the filling cool! The best part is putting them all together at the end! :D
Cinnamon Cupcake Batter
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- dash of salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk**
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
**Homemade buttermilk: 1 tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice and fill the rest of a measured cup with milk.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 cupcake trays with 24 cute cupcake liners.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar.
4. Pour in the oil, buttermilk and vanilla to the egg and sugar mixture and mix.
5. Add the flour mixture from step 2 and continue to mix. The batter will seem a bit runny, but it's normal!
6. Take an ice cream scooper and fill each cupcake liner to about 2-3 full.
7. Bake for 18-23 minutes. (About 12 minutes for mini cupcakes!)
8. When done, let cool on the counter or cool in a fridge until ready to be filled and iced.
Cinnamon Apple Filling
- 3 apples: peeled, cored, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar (I use Truvia for this part-only used 3 packets!)
1. Peel, core and dice your apples before beginning.
2. Heat butter in a skilet over medium-high heat.
3. Add cinnamon and sugar and mix, cook for about one minute-it should start to bubble * Don't overcook! *
4. Lower heat a little and add apples. Mix well!
5. Cook for about ten minutes, or until the apples are tender. Occasionally mixing as the cinnamon mixture melts with the apple juices. You want to make sure all of the apples get coated with the cinnamon-y goodness!
6. Remove from heat and let cool a little until the frosting is made and everything is ready to be put together!
Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) room temperature unsalted butter (I put the butter in a microwave for 20 seconds right from the fridge)
- 3-4 cups powdered confectioner's sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-3 tablespoons cinnamon (I added a little bit at a time until I liked the way it tasted-use your preference!)
1. Cream the butter until very few to no clumps.
2. Add 2 cups of sugar and mix.
3. Mix in the milk and vanilla extract.
4. Add in more sugar 1/2 cup at a time until it's at the right consistency. (shouldn't drip off the spoon too easily, just form a nice peak when you pick up the spoon!)
5. Add cinnamon. (Remember, you can add more than the 1 tablespoon, just add in a little at a time, cinnamon is strong!)
Putting it all together!
1. Using a cupcake plunger (great invention, everyone should invest!) or a knife, cut out the middle of the cupcake in a v shape. (My roommate and I love to snack on the leftover "cupcake guts" the next day!)
2. Fill each cupcake with about a tablespoon or apples, or whatever fits in the hole that you made.
3. Put the frosting in a piping bag with a "basket weave" frosting tip. (It's a thin slit that is usually straight on one side, and ridged on the other).
4. Make four lines of icing over the apples...like you're making a tic tac toe board. Then frost around the edge of the cupcake, moving your hand side to side slightly as you frost to make it look like a wavy pie crust. (See picture!)
5. Do this to all of your cupcakes and you will have 24 beautiful mini apple pies! Now dig in and share with your friends! If you want ;)
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.