Step 1: You'll need. . .
- large mixing bowl
- hand mixer or wooden spoon
- 3 9" cake pans
- measuring cup
- box grater or food processor with a grating blade attachment
- 2 cups sugar
- 1.5 cups vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- .5 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- .5 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- .5 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups finely grated peeled carrots (about 1 pound)
- pecans and/or raisins can be added
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
- .5 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Step 2: Make the Cake!
2. Grease and flour 3 9"-diameter cake pans.
3. Grate carrots using a box grater or feed through the grating blade of a food processor.
4. Beat together sugar and oil until well combined.
5. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each.
6. Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
7. Gently stir in carrots (and nuts and raisins if desired).
8. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans.
9. Bake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean and cakes begin to pull away from sides of pans, about 45 minutes.
10. Allow to cool in pans on racks 15 minutes. Turn out cakes onto racks and cool completely.