Step 1: Using Your Tank Top As Your Pattern
- Lay your chosen tank top on your fabric.
- Trace 1 inch around your tank top for the seam allowance, extending downwards about 3 feet seeing as you do not know how long you want your dress yet.
Step 2: Figuring Out Length and Hemming
- Put both sides of your fabric together, making sure to leave the right side under the arm opening open so as you can slip the fabric over your head and stick your arms through.
- Once the dress is on, decide how long you would like it to be. Trim the excess length.
- Next, make a 1 inch hem at the shoulders and bottom of dress.
Step 3: Adding Your Zipper and Buttons
Step 4: Arm and Collar Band Time
- To start, cut 3 inch in width by 2 feet in length rectangles out of your fabric.
- Hem both the top and bottom of the fabric, as well as the sides.
- Fold one hemmed rectangle around and to the arm opening, pinning as you go. Do the same for the other arm opening and neckline.
Step 5: Decorative Collar, Sleeves, and Bottom Hem
- Choose a lace fabric you like. Cut 2 strips of scalopped fabric of 2 and 1 half inches wide by about 3 feet.
- Pin fabric directly to collar, sewing until you get to the end. Do not tie or backstech yet. Rather, pull the end strings, ruching the material until the desired gathering is complete. Then knot the end strings together, securing your ends.
- For the arm opening do the same but do not gather fabric this time.
- For the bottom hem cut one strip a little more than 3 feet in length, from the cut not scalopped part of fabric. Pin directly to fabric and sew on.