Try it out today while okra is in its full glory - you won't be disappointed!
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup buttermilk - add 1 tablespoon vinegar to a measuring cup, fill with milk to make 1/2 cup, let sit 5 minutes
- 2 pounds okra, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- Oil for frying (I like peanut or vegetable oil)
- In a cast iron skillet or deep pan, heat about 6 cups of oil to 350F (125C).
- Place cut okra in buttermilk to soak for a couple minutes while you assemble the coating.
- In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, and seasonings.
- Transfer okra to coating mixture and toss well to coat.
- Fry okra in hot oil for about 5 minutes, stirring to fry evenly.
- Remove to paper towels to drain.
Even after these have cooled quite a bit, they are still delicious. Serve with ketchup or hot sauce, or eat them up plain!