Step 1: Supplies and Equipment
- beeswax - pastilles or granulated is best, otherwise be ready to grate some off of a block
- petroleum jelly
- essential oils and/or cosmetic grade fragrance oil (be careful to read the label as candle fragrances can irritate your skin)
- an eye dropper for fragrance
- a few measuring spoons
- a toothpick or something similar for stirring
- a small metal container to melt things in
- a candle warmer or double boiler
- heat proof glove or tongs to handle the heated metal
- a small tin or other container (optional) for any extra perfume
If you're making this for yourself you can choose whatever you want for fragrance. I used Amyris (about 8 drops), which is related to pine but doesn't smell like a cleaning product. My locket does smell nicely like walking through a forest when I wear my it.
If you're making it for someone else and unsure about the what oils to use, a good place to start is with a classic floral like lilac, then adding a hint of a citrus or spicy note. You can also find a lot of pre-mixed oil blends if you don't feel like experimenting. If you come up with a blend you love WRITE IT DOWN - including the number of drops of each oil - so you can easily make it again in the future!