Introduction: Pesto Egg Crepe

Picture of Pesto Egg Crepe

Green breakfast!

Step 1: Slice Tomato

Picture of Slice Tomato

Find a gorgeous heirloom tomato at your local farmers' market. Cut it into nice big thick slices. Thinly slice a purple onion as well.

Step 2: Cook Egg Crepe

Picture of Cook Egg Crepe

Spray canola oil onto your frying pan. Turn on the burner, but don't wait for the pan to warm up. Immediately dump in egg whites (or beaten eggs if you prefer) then add a scoop of pesto and stir in before the eggs begin to set.

Flip your green egg crepe to lightly cook the other side.

Step 3: Assemble

Picture of Assemble

Dump the crepe onto a plate. Add tomato slices, purple onion slices, and more dollops of pesto as you like. Fold over, taco-style, and use leftover ingredients to make an attractive yuppie garnish.



ryano (author)2006-07-07

Isn't this an omelette rather than a crepe?

sht_dave (author)ryano2007-03-23

Yes it is an omelette (folded egg with garnishments), to make crepes you need to have eggs, milk and flour. I have a most excellent recipe if anyone's interested.

canida (author)sht_dave2008-05-20

Yes, please share!

sht_dave (author)canida2008-05-22

one cup milk two-three eggs 2/3 cup of whole wheat flower Use a blender; first pour in the milk then add the egg. Start the blender and add the flour while it's running....continue blending for about 1 minute......

sht_dave (author)sht_dave2008-05-22

cook over a medium heat in a little butter.......They should cook real fast.

canida (author)ryano2006-08-08

I cooked the egg whites in crepe-fashion, making a thin relatively dry egg-based pancake to wrap the rest of the ingredients after cooking. While it's a matter of interpretation, to me an omelette is a more decadent concoction involving (at least some) whole eggs, with the filling and cheese cooked into the soft center of the folded eggs. Mmmm, omelettes.

I Am An Evil Taco (author)2008-05-18

I'd be careful adding the pesto so early. basil gets bitter when it's' cooked too long. looks good though. I want it to have sliced bella caps.

canida (author)I Am An Evil Taco2008-05-20

It's a tiny thin little crepe, and cooks almost instantaneously, so the basil doesn't have time to become bitter. You're a huge fan of sliced portabellas, I see! I've not tried them in this dish, but I made it with sauteed chantarelles, which turns out beautifully.

I Am An Evil Taco (author)canida2008-05-21

ooooooooo that works too! I love bellas. As an ex vegetarian I find they add that umami element that many vegetarian dishes lack. Plus, pesto and mushrooms? Mushrooms are a sponge, and bellas in particular love to soak up basil and garlic flavors. The chantarelles is a brilliant touch as well, not something I would have thought of. I probably would have gone shiitake instead of bella, for a different mushroom. I can only imagine how great this recipe would be over some fried shredded hash browns. I'm making this ASAP.

incorrigible packrat (author)2008-02-05

Heirloom tomatoes kick ass! Have you ever tried the Brandywine variety?

Mmmm, Brandywines are good. I usually find the dark purplish heirlooms to be the tastiest.

pierlo (author)2007-09-27

ahahah... i cant resist from saying i've never seen pesto used this way... well yeah - i'm an italian cook

mensmaximus (author)2006-08-12

Thank you. Hey Ideacity, I don't see ideas like this on your site. An agrabot could make this with a robotic arm and dispense it 24/7 on the Food Lines of your town/world. Only 5% of the human population has empathy say psychiatrists. Robots can provide the other 95%. Bring on the bots!!!

Johntron (author)2006-04-06

My keyboard has drool all over it now :(

fangorn81 (author)2006-03-31

That looks freakin' delicious!

About This Instructable




Bio: I've been posting Instructables since the site's inception, and now build other things at Autodesk. Follow me for food and more!
More by canida:Easy Homemade Sauerkraut and Kimchi Recipe - In a Bag!Homemade Dippin' DotsCarrot Parsnip Beef Soup
Add instructable to: