Manual 4 way deluxe locking cat flap door
2. An Arduino Nano
3. 2x roller switches for detecting cat in/out status (or magnetic reed switches). Similar to this
4. 2x momentary push button switches
(normally open) for manually opening or closing the door at any time
5. A breadboard
6. A BlinkM MinM
LED module (I2C)
7. A Chronodot
high precision real time clock module (I2C)
8. A Servo
9. 4x 10K resistors (for interfacing the 4 switches)
10. Miscellaneous wiring
11. Small nuts and bolts for securing the switches and servo to the door
12. A mini-B USB power supply
The Staywell 4 way locking pet door provides the perfect housing for this prototype, because it is already designed to accommodate additional hardware and electronic modules (other models from the manufacturer) . It also features a flap and an indoor flap guard. The flap guard prevents smart pets from opening the door from the inside.
The arduino nano's size is perfect for fitting inside the door; however other arduino will probably fit too.
The Chronodot real time clock (RTC) is an I2C module that keeps track of the current date and time, even when power is not present.
The BlinkM MiniM is a smart I2C LED module that can fade in and out of a wide range of colors.