I made it at TechShop
4" Ceramic tile (dark color, black works best)
Cellophane (Scotch) tape
Photograph of your pet or generic clip art
8" square cake pan
Plastic drinking cup
Step 1: Preparing the image
You must start with a photograph that has high contrast. Then using your favorite graphics program:
- Trim or adjust the aspect ratio to make the image square.
- Airbrush/mask/trim the image, to isolate the portion you want to etch, with a black background.
- If it is not already, convert the image to greyscale. This will help visualize what the laser will produce.
- Increase the contrast as much as possible, without distorting the image too much. You may also try increasing or decreasing the lightness as well.
- Add any text in white.
- Convert the entire image to be a negative. It will look odd, but remember that the laser will etch everying you have in black, and leave everything in white untouched.