Now that I had the flipper weapon designed I could work on the frame for the robot.
I first made part of the frame that would hold everything. My material of choice is the 1/2"X1/2" box steel they sell at Home Depot. After welding the basic shape I once again test fit the components and worked on re-arranging them to make everything fit.
The drivetrain for Phoenix, as described earlier was two Harbor Freight 18 volt drill motors
with 4" wheels
, kitbots.com's hubs/motor mounts
and one drill battery to power it. I decided on this drivetrain because it offered both adequate speed and power for the robot and was cheap. The speed controller I used was a Sabertooth 2X25
that I had won at a previous competition.
I then did a test assembly of the robot and then test drive...
Which reviled a major design oversight on my part. There was no weight on the drive wheels which made the robot almost impossible to drive. I needed to change that... with more steel....
I ended up welding 4lbs of steel to the front of the frame to help counteract the weight distribution issues. The added bonus was now it had 1/8" thick steel armor on the front.