Introduction: Photo Frame Lithophane Backlight
Hello, in this instructable I'll show you how do I light my lithophanes for less than 10€. Let's start!
Step 1: Get Your Lithophane Ready!
First you will need to cut or scale your image to the format of your frame (13x15, 15x18, etc), mine was 720x520 pixels once ready turn it into a lithophane here: http://3dp.rocks/lithophane. The most important setting here is to make a positive image under Settings/Image Settings, under /Model Settings you have to set the maximum size, example if your photo frame can show a picture of 13x18cm you set here 180 (mm). Download the stl file and slice it with your favorite slicer. Now is time to print it!
Step 2: 3D Printing!
Any 3D printer will do an amazing job if you slice the file properly, I prefer to print slow with low acceleration and jerk.
Step 3: Materials & Tools
Step 4: Assembly
- First measure the inner perimeter of your frame and cut the LED strip a bit smaller to make space for the DC Jack.
- Now solder the DC Jack and the led strips together using two small pieces of cable.
- Now glue the LED lights as show on the picture and secure the corners with a bit of hot glue. Make sure you left a corner free for the DC jack.
- Glue the DC jack to any inferior corner, use as much hot glue as you need to hold it firmly in place but avoid to glue something else in the process.
- I use the paper as a simple light diffuser which I secured in place with a small amount of hot glue, just make sure you don't glue over any LED.
- Cut a 1x1cm hole on the back plate of the frame to expose the DC jack.
- Close the frame and glue only the corners.
- Make sure you clean your lithophane, glass and frame before you start gluing, it would be annoying to openit for cleaning after.
- Glue only the corners in the back plate of the frame, it will hold and will allow you to easily reopen it in case you need to repair or upgrade something inside.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.