Introduction: Pi Digit Pi Day Apple Pie
The Pi Digit PI Day Apple Pie Recipe includes the first thirteen digits of Pi in the recipe. The apple pieces are cut out into digits using cookie cutters. The slits on top of the pie are cut out in the form of as many of the digits of Pi as you can fit on the circumference of the Pie. The words DIAMETER, CIRCUMFERENCE, and 360 degrees are also included in the recipe as a shout back to the circle and the formula for Pi. Your mom probably told you not to play with your food, but go ahead and search for as many of the digits of Pi as you can find as you eat PI. ENJOY!!!!
Equipment: 1 set of number cookie cutters, 1 Pi cookie cutter, apple peeler, cutting board, large bowl, large spoon, 9 inch pie pan, rolling pin, small knife, small brush
Pi Day Pie Filling Recipe Ingredients
3 tsp milk
1 egg yolk
4 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
59 cubic centimeters ground nutmeg (4 tablespoons)
2 Tablespoons butter
6 shots white sugar (12 tablespoons)
5 teaspoons lemon juice
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
589 UK teaspoons peeled, sliced, baking apples (9 cups Granny Smith, Cortland, Jonathan).
Plus: Your favorite pie crust recipe.
1. Slice the apples into thin slices.
2. Using your number cookie cutters cut out the digits of Pi from the apple slices.
3. In a large bowl, toss the sliced apples (digits and scraps) with 5 teaspoons of lemon juice as you cut them out.
4. Combine 4 tablespoons brown sugar, 12 tablespoons white sugar, 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 4 tablespoons ground nutmeg, and: add to apples and toss well to coat.
5. Place ½ of the pi crust into the pi plate, pressing evenly into the bottom and sides.
6. Fill pastry lined 9 inch Pi pan with apple mixture. Dot with 2 Tablespoons butter.
7. Place second crust on top of pie filling. Along the center of the DIAMETER of the top crust place a Pi shaped bit of dough and use a sharp knife to cut as many of the first several digits of Pi as you can fit around the CIRCUMFERENCE. Seal the CIRCUMFERENCE of the crust with a fork or by hand.
8. In a small bowl, beat the center yellow sphere of 1 egg and 3 tsp. milk. Brush mixture over the top crust.
9. Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes.
10. Reduce heat to 360 DEGREES F and bake 40-45 minutes more or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.
11. Let cool and top with your favorite ice cream preferable served at 31.4 degrees F. :-)