Equipment: 1 set of number cookie cutters, 1 Pi cookie cutter, apple peeler, cutting board, large bowl, large spoon, 9 inch pie pan, rolling pin, small knife, small brush
Pi Day Pie Filling Recipe Ingredients
3 tsp milk
1 egg yolk
4 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
59 cubic centimeters ground nutmeg (4 tablespoons)
2 Tablespoons butter
6 shots white sugar (12 tablespoons)
5 teaspoons lemon juice
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
589 UK teaspoons peeled, sliced, baking apples (9 cups Granny Smith, Cortland, Jonathan).
Plus: Your favorite pie crust recipe.
1. Slice the apples into thin slices.
2. Using your number cookie cutters cut out the digits of Pi from the apple slices.
3. In a large bowl, toss the sliced apples (digits and scraps) with 5 teaspoons of lemon juice as you cut them out.
4. Combine 4 tablespoons brown sugar, 12 tablespoons white sugar, 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 4 tablespoons ground nutmeg, and: add to apples and toss well to coat.
5. Place ½ of the pi crust into the pi plate, pressing evenly into the bottom and sides.
6. Fill pastry lined 9 inch Pi pan with apple mixture. Dot with 2 Tablespoons butter.
7. Place second crust on top of pie filling. Along the center of the DIAMETER of the top crust place a Pi shaped bit of dough and use a sharp knife to cut as many of the first several digits of Pi as you can fit around the CIRCUMFERENCE. Seal the CIRCUMFERENCE of the crust with a fork or by hand.
8. In a small bowl, beat the center yellow sphere of 1 egg and 3 tsp. milk. Brush mixture over the top crust.
9. Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes.
10. Reduce heat to 360 DEGREES F and bake 40-45 minutes more or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.
11. Let cool and top with your favorite ice cream preferable served at 31.4 degrees F. :-)