The ball joints on the swirl flaps can wear to excess rendering the swirl flaps un-functional also the seal on the swirl flaps can fail causing inlet manifold air leaks.
It is a very common fault for the swirl flap operating rod bushes to wear down and for the operating rod to pop off causing these symptoms, this can easily be rectified with our replacement improved design operating rod which can be purchased in our eBay store.
Unfortunately on occasions the ball joints on the swirl flaps which this rod connects to can be too worn to repair with a new rod, alternatively the seals on the swirl flaps on occasions fail and cause air leaks. Previously this necessitated the replacement of the whole intake manifold at vast expense. However using our blanking kit the swirl flaps can be removed and blanked off allowing you to repair the manifold you have; saving the cost of a new manifold and preventing any future swirl flap issues.
Symptoms of the fault
Engine management light (EML) lit, high fuel consumption, rough idling, rough running, poor power and torque, smoking from exhaust, error P2279-11 Intake system air leak,P2075 fault code.
Vehicles affected and compatibility
Some of the vehicles affected and associated part numbers:
Alfa Romeo - 939A200 ( 1.9 MultiJet JTDM 16V 110 kW / 150 PS)
147 - 1.9 JTDM 8v 2005+ [HP 120]
147 - 1.9 JTDM 16v 2005+ [HP 150]
147 - 1.9 JTD 16v 2004+ [HP 136]
156 - 1.9 JTD 2003-2005 [HP 126]
156 - 1.9 JTD 2004-2005 [HP 150]
156 Sportwagon - 1.9 JTD 16v Q4 2004-2006 [HP 150]
156 Sportwagon - 1.9 JTD 2005-2006 [HP 150]
156 Sportwagon - 1.9 JTD 2003-2006 [HP 126]
159 Saloon - 1.9 JTDM 8v 2005+ [HP 120]
159 Saloon - 1.9 JTDM 8v 2005+ [HP 115]
159 Saloon - 1.9 JTDM 16v 2005+ [HP 136]
159 Sportwagon - 1.9 JTDM 8v 2006+ [HP 120]
159 Sportwagon - 1.9 JTDM 8v 2006+ [HP 115]
GT - 1.9 JTD 2003+ [HP 150]
Fiat - Enigines M91 & M92
Croma - 1.9 D Multijet 2005+ [HP 150]
Stilo - 1.9 D Multijet 2005+ [HP 150]
Stilo Multi Wagon - 1.9 D Multijet 2005+ [HP 150]
Vauxhall - Engines Z19DTH & Z19DTJ
Astra Mk V (H) - 1.9 CDTi 2004-2009 [HP 150]
Astra Mk V (H) - 1.9 CDTi 2004-2009 [HP 120]
Astra Mk V (H) Estate - 1.9 CDTi 2004-2009 [HP 150]
Astra Mk V (H) Sports Hatch - 1.9 CDTi 2004-2010 [HP 150]
Astra TwinTop Mk V (H) - 1.9 CDTi 2006+ [HP 150]
Astravan (H) - 1.9 CDTi 2005+ [HP 150]
Signum - 1.9 CDTi 16v 2004-2008 [HP 150]
Vectra MK II (C) - 1.9 CDTi 16v 2004-2005 [HP 150]
Vectra MK II (C) GTS - 1.9 CDTi 16v 2004-2005 [HP 150]
Vectra MK II (C) Estate - 1.9 CDTi 16v 2004-2005 [HP 150]
Zafira MK II (B) - 1.9 CDTi 2005-2011 [HP 150]
Saab - Engines Z19DTH & Z19DTJ
9-3 Saloon - 1.9 TiD 2004+ [HP 150]
9-3 Convertible - 1.9 TiD 2006+ [HP 150]
9-5 Saloon - 1.9 TiD 2006+ [HP 150]
9-5 Estate - 1.9 TiD 2006+ [HP 150]
Associated part numbers:
Older design 55206459, 55190238, 55194739, 55206460, 2.03462.01, 2.03462.00
Newer design 55210202, 55210201, 2.03462.03, 2.03462.02
Remove the swirl flaps from the inlet manifold and blank off using our kit; eliminate swirl flap faults without having to buy a complete new intake manifold.
Our unique design kit allows you to blank off the swirl flaps on your original intake manifold resolving swirl flap faults permanently. Our blanks are precision engineered from billet aluminium and are fitted with a Viton O ring to ensure a good seal, a far better alternative to pressed parts which can fail to seal.
A cost effective alternative to a whole new manifold which would likely fail again. Save the cost of a new manifold and prevent any further swirl flap issues. Some of our customers have installed our blanks as a preventative measure to avoid swirl flap issues further down the line and some customers have experienced performance gains from removing the swirl flaps.
You will receive
4X Large cnc machined billet aluminium blanks (fitted with high quality Viton O-ring)
1X Small cnc machined billet aluminium blank (fitted with high quality Viton O-ring)
1X Adhesive to secure the blanks
From X8R Ltd www.x8r.co.uk
Step 1: Remove the Swirl Flap Actuator Arm
- On the the underside of the intake manifold pry back the two tabs as shown and lift off the plastic part.
Step 2: Remove the Swirl Flaps
Newer design intake manifolds with part numbers: 55210202, 55210201, 2.03462.03, 2.03462.02:
- Using a small punch, tap out the old swirls - you may have to tap out the swirls in different positions to allow the swirls to be removed from the manifold.
Older design intake manifolds with part numbers: 55206459, 55190238, 55194739, 55206460, 2.03462.01, 2.03462.00:
- Unscrew the two screws on the flap and remove the flap.
- To remove the remnants of the swirl flap insert a pry tool or flat headed screwdriver under the outer part of the swirl flap and lift up.
- If the swirl doesn't want to lift out; twist the swirl and try again.
- Repeat process for all swirl flaps.
- Clean the inlet manifold of all soot/oil making sure the 5 holes are clean and free of grease.
Step 3: Test Fit Swirl Fap Blanks Before Fitting
- Before gluing the swirl blanks; apply a small amount of grease to the o-ring on the blanks and test fit. The O-rings are designed to be a tight fit (based on normal wear) take care not to damage the o-ring seals. Do not force in but ease in a little at a time, varying the angle to ensure the o-ring seals and doesn't bind.
Step 4: Glue the Blanks in Position
- Once you are satisfied the o-rings have been shaped and are sealing correctly. Using the adhesive supplied apply evenly around the blanks, keeping to the metal surface area of the blanks and avoiding the o-ring seal.
- Press the blanks into the holes.
- Please follow the adhesive instructions included with our product for mixing and curing times.
When refitting the intake manifold the flap actuator motor should remain fitted as well as the electrical connection but the lever arm should be disconnected. This enables the ECU to identify that the motor is functioning correctly and should not cause any error lights to show up on the vehicles dashboard.
If you need any further guidance on this install or would like to purchase the parts shown please call us on +44 01843 446643 or email us at email@example.com.
Please also check out our instruction guide on YouTube.
Installation is carried out at installers risk, if unsure please contact us or a professional, X8R Ltd cannot be held responsible for any adverse result of installing this product or any injuries caused by install, if in doubt ask a professional. All images and texts are copyright X8R Ltd 2013