Step 1: Materials and Tools Needed
- IKEA Gulliver Crib, 1 (all hardware included)
- 1/4' birch veneer plywood, 2 sheets
- 1/2' metal screw plugs, 8
- table saw (optional, your local home improvement store can cut to size)
- 1/2' drill bit
- wood glue
- sand paper and wood filler (optional)
- paint brush, primer and paint
Step 2: How To
2. Lay one of your 31 3/4' x 28' pieces on a flat work surface (the floor should do it). Glue one of your 1' x 31 3/4' strips width wise at the top and glue each of two 1' x 27 1/4' strips wise down the sides. The side strips should butt against your top strip in the top left and top right corner of your square, creating an upside down 'U'. All of the 1/4' edges of your three strips should be flush with the inside edge of your square. Glue together. Let dry.
3. Unpack your IKEA crib and take out the end piece that you will place the slip cover over. Place it down on your wood, fitting it snugly within your new sides and top. Mark each of the IKEA cribs predrilled holes on to your wood piece with a pencil. You'll need to know where these holes are when putting your crib together. Remove IKEA crib end and drill each hole with your 1/2' drill bit.
4. Now it's time to mark these predrilled hole locations on to your second square of 31 3/4' x 28' wood. You'll need to put the hardware through both sides of the slipcover to secure the crib. Mark this second set of holes by laying the second piece of wood on your work surface and placing your already glued and drilled piece on top. Mark each of the predrilled holes on to your second wood piece with a pencil. Drill each hole with your 1/2' drill bit.
5. Next take that piece of wood and glue it to your already glued pieces creating a box that will act as the slip cover. Let dry.
6. Wood fill any gaps and lightly sand.
7. Decorate/paint as desired.
8. Repeat steps 2-8 for the other end of the crib.
9. Slide each of the IKEA crib ends into its corresponding slipcover. Assemble IKEA crib as instructed. All hardware included in the crib set will work with slipcovered ends.
10. Plug your drilled holes with your metal screw plugs.
*for fun, secure rope lighting to the underside of the crib.