Introduction: Pimp Your Medicine Cabinet
After remodeling my bathroom, I needed a new medicine cabinet. I couldn't find anything I like, so I bought a second hand boring, simple medicine cabinet and gave it the same treatment that I gave my guest room wall.
I decorated it with dragons and unicorns because... well... dragons and unicorns :)
The decorations where made with my 3d printer and using stass-stones. The paint I still had from the guest room wall.
The 3d-designs where found at Thingiverse.
[see the last step on some tips how I could have done it easier]
Step 1: You Will Need
- Medicine Cabinet
- Stuff to decorate with, like strass-stones, tape and other designs
- Metall paint
- Black paint (or other contrasting colour)
- Black spray paint
- Masking tape and cardboard
- Terpentine (solvant)
- Super glue
- 3D-printer (if you want to make your own decors)
Well for me this was a really cheap project. I just bought the cabinet (3,50), the strass-stones (1,45) and a brush (0,90). All the other stuff where leftovers from previous projects.
So for me this project cost: 5,85 (euro)
But if I'm honest with myself, I should add some money for the 3D filament, super-glue and paint. Still I don't think this project would go far over 10,-.
Step 2: Prepare the Cabinet
To prep the cabinet:
- Degrease with solvent
- Mask the inside so the spray paint can't get there
- Prime with primer (my cabinet was plastic so I used a special primer for that)
- Paint black
Step 3: To Decorate
For me this was the hardest part. I found the designs I liked on Thingiverse.
I used some tape to create the band in the middle.
To create the "nails" I used self adhesive strass-stones. The colour is not important. I will paint them anyway.
The 3D printed decorations are glued on with super-glue.
We added new plastic so:
- Degrease with solvent
- Prime with primer
- Spray paint black
Step 4: Metal Paint
I did put some cardboard between the door and the cabinet, because I only want to paint the door.
I brushed on 4 layers of metal paint with short random strokes, to get it all covered.
Then I brushed on the black paint and took it off immediately with a cloth with solvent. The effect is that all the decorations jump out and it all looks nicely weathered.
Put it on the wall en stock with supplies.
This was a tryout for a big door, so that will be the next adventure with metal paint!
If I would do this again, I would do some things a little different:
- I would skip the first layer of primer
- I would skip the first layer of black paint. So first glue on all the decoration and only than prime and paint
- I would use a copper colour spay paint instead of the black
- I would probably get away with just two layers of metal paint (I would still use the brushed on paint to get the structure)
So all in all I would use just five layers of paint instead of the nine layers I used now.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.