A simple affordable pine coffee table made out of 2x4s.
Step 1: Create a Plan
Step 2: Purchesing Material
I purchased the following material in order to build the coffee table:
- 2x4x96 (8 or 9)
- When picking your wood look at the pattern of the wood to reflect how you want your table top to look
- Size 10 biscuits
- Wood glue
I also used the following equipment:
- Orbital Hand Sander (with various grit sizes)
- Biscuit Joiner
- Table Saw
- Miter Saw
- Various Clamps
Step 3: Table Top Lay Out
- I cut the 4 2x4x96 boards I intended to use for the table top in half.
- Then using my table saw I cut the 2x4s down to 1.5x3 in order to have squared off pieces.
- Lay your pieces out how you want your table top to look.
Step 4: Joining the Top
Now you want to mark on your pieces where you intend on placing the biscuit joints. I followed the instructions that came with my joiner (see photo). Once I marked out where I wanted to place the joints I used my biscuit joiner to create the holes.Now you simply glue all your holes, put the biscuits in, and clamp it down until the glue dries.
Step 5: Adding the End Caps of the Top
I sanded down the edges in order to have a flush edge to add the caps. I cut the two end caps to size and followed the same steps as in step 4 to join them.
Step 6: Creating the Legs
I cut the pieces for the legs a bit larger than they needed to be so that I could later get a clean cut on them. Joining the legs I used the joiner again. Once the joints dried I cut them down to 3x3s and used the power miter to cut them all the same length.
Step 7: Sand All of Your Pieces
I used a rough grit sand paper first since 2x4s can be rougher lumber. I then worked my up to a finer sand grit to get the wood smooth.