Here are my easy to follow step-by-step directions for you to follow to make the perfect pi day masterpiece.
Step 1: What You Will Need
* 1 cup unsalted butter, very cold
* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 3 tablespoons white sugar
* 1/3 cup ice water
Ingredients for the filling:
* pie crust
* 3/4 cup white sugar
* 3 tablespoons cornstarch
* 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 2 tablespoons milk
* 1 tablespoon white sugar
* 1 egg (for egg wash)
To construct the pie:
* Rolling pin
* cookie cutters (numbers, circles)
* 9 in circular glass pie pan
Step 2: Making the Dough
1) Combine flour and sugar in a chilled bowl. Cube up the butter and cut it into the sugar/ flour mixture until it forms a pea like consistency.
2) Add in the ice water about a tablespoon at a time to the mixture and mix the dough with a fork (kneading with your hands works as well) until the dough comes together and forms a ball. At this point stop adding water and divide the dough ball into two halves. Flatten into two discs and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill the discs in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Step 3: Making the Filling
1) In a medium saucepan combine sugar (3/4 cup), cornstarch, pineapple with juice, and lemon juice.
2) Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened. (You will feel resistance when stirring and will know when this is. Usually it takes 10-15 min)
3) Cool slightly on the counter while you roll out the pie dough.
Step 4: Rolling Out the Dough
1) Flour your work surface and rolling pin. Work the chilled dough into two large discs at least 11 inches in diameter and save excess dough on the side. Grease (cooking spray works great) and flour your baking pan and lay one rolled out piece in the pan. Fill the pie with the pineapple filling and set aside, you will now make the letters and top crust.
2) Roll the extra dough out (you will have enough extra) and cut out two sets of the numbers 3, 1, and 4. WIth a knife cut out the symbol for pi.
Optional: cut overlapping circles into the top crust to add a geometric background. Use circular cookie cutters of various sizes. This also helps to vent the pie.
3) Lay the top crust on the pie, tuck the edges, crimp the crust and attach the cutouts using water as the glue.
Step 5: Creating the Top Crust
Lay the top crust on the pie, tuck the edges, crimp the crust and attach the cutouts using water as the glue.
Vent the pie by making small slits in the crust. (if you chose to put the circles as I have, this step may be skipped)
Make an egg wash by whisking together the egg and milk and using a pastry brush to brush it over the top of the pie so that it will bake golden brown and shiny.
If you would like, sprinkle sugar around the crust.
Step 6: Baking the Pie
Optional: to make the numbers/ letters and symbol stand out more you may use diluted food coloring and apply it with a brush.
Step 7: Enjoy!
Add your own spin on this using sprinkles, food coloring, or anything you can think of.
Enjoy and remember to take pictures of your pi day masterpiece!