To do this build you only need basic soldering and wiring skills.
Our own beloved Molly (the exact bike shown in the photos) is currently for sale for $750. This is the exact bike shown in the photos, it was also featured on Daily Planet on Dec 9, 2008 and in our MonkeyLectric video. Very good condition with little use. Base bike is a Haro with 3-speed shimano coaster brake. Email info-at-MonkeyLectric-dot-com if you are interested in purchasing it.
This project is brought to you by MonkeyLectric and the Monkey Light bike light
Step 1: What you need
- Flexible waterproof LED light strips. You can get these from Adafruit or you can find lots more on ebay by searching for 'rgb led flex strip'. make sure you get ones with a durable rubber cover or coating.
- 12V battery. You can use a small sealed-lead-acid (try batterymart.com or batterywholesale.com), or 10 rechargeable AA's. You can get a 10xAA holder from mouser.com part number 12BH310
- Optional LED lighting controller. With just the LED strip you can have any of 7 solid colors. if you add a controller you can do tons of changing patterns. Search ebay (or google) for '12v rgb led strip controller' and you will find lots of them.
- Under-seat bike bag to hold the battery
- 4x22 gauge stranded wire, about 15 feet. I got this from mcmaster.com.
- double-side foam tape (only a little if your strips already have a sticky-backing. otherwise you need enough for the length of strip you have)
- hot-melt glue and glue gun