Step 1: Preparation
Clean the area where the vinyl will be applied. Rubbing alcohol is preferable. This will remove any existing dirt or oil present on your work. The air and application surface should be between 60 and 80 degrees F.
- Pinstriping Mask (available from www.raceweb.org)
- Squeegee (credit card will do)
- Razor blade or Xacto Knife
- Striping Brush
- Striping paint such as One Shot
Step 2: Mask application
1. Cut off excess vinyl around edge of mask as required and discard.
2. Locate mask on surface and hold in place with masking tape. Measure from Top and bottom and side to side to ensure mask is exactly where you want it.
3. Start peeling off the backing and remove half of the backing paper with your scissors. Be careful during this step to ensure that none of the mask is left sticking to the backing paper. (I didn't pay attention and had some minor problems around the eye brows)
4. Adhere the mask to the surface and gently smooth into position working from the center outward using your squeegee.
5. Remove masking tape and then the remainder of the backing paper.
6. Adhere the remainder of the mask to the surface and gently smooth into position
7. Smooth down the whole image to ensure mask is properly adhered.