Step 1: Materials required
- the sprocket from a bicycle (the big one from the crank)
- two 18" lengths of 1/2 inch threaded iron pipe
- one pipe floor flange
- one pipe "T" fitting (1/2 3/4 3/4 threads)
- one 1/2" 45 degree pipe fitting
- one 1/2" 90 degree pipe fitting
- two 3/4" copper tubing couplers
- one lamp socket
- one 9' extension cord
- one rubber bushing
- one old mechanic's trouble light
Step 2: Building the base
I then drilled holes and mounted the floor flange in the center of the outside (smallest) sprocket.
Next I sprayed the sprocket/flange unit with copper paint. Once the paint was dry, I screwed one of the lengths of black iron pipe into the flange.
Step 3: Making the lamp adjustable
This gives me the ability to swivel the top part of the lamp up and down and slide the top pipe in and out (of the "T" fitting).
In Photo 2 you can see where I drilled and tapped a hole for a set screw to lock the sliding pipe in place. I also soldered 3/4" tubing connectors to the "T" for a couple of reasons: (1) it centers the pipe in the 34 inch part of the "T"; and (2) it sort of looks cool!
For the set screw I used a 1/4" bolt attached to an outdoor faucet handle (Photo 2)
Step 4: Let there be light.....
While the paint was drying I attached the 45 degree fitting on the second iron pipe. I screwed a rubber bushing into the other end of the fitting (Photo 2), and drilled out the bushing to accept the fitting from a new lamp socket. I then cut off the female end of the extension cord and ran the wire through the pipe and wired it to the lamp socket. Next I screwed the lamp socket into the bushing and clamped the shroud around it.
Step 5: Done!
This design allows for a lamp with a relatively small footprint to provide just the right amount of light where I need it. And since this lamp was made from mostly junk parts, the price was right, too!