So, from that, I thought, why not?? A pizza cannoli! But, using pizza dough, instead of the original pastry dough for the typical Sicilian cannoli!! And, you know what, paisanos?? They were SO easy to make! Who says a pizza has to be flat?? So, sink your teeth into one of these crispy pizza cannoli, and fuhhhgetttaboutit! Delizioso!!
Pronto, tutti? Facciamo la Pizza Cannoli! ~ Ready, everybody? Let's make pizza Cannoli!
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
- 1 bag of raw pizza dough, from refrigerated section, or local pizzeria
- 2-3 cups of canola oil
- 6 ounces of mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 pound of smoked provolone cheese (sliced)
- 9 slices of prosciutto (very thin and cut in half)
- 8 ounces of ricotta cheese (drained)
- 3 tablespoons of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of Pecorino Romano Cheese (finely grated)
- 1/4 cup of pistachio nuts (finely crushed, for garnish)
- 8 ounces of your favorite marinara sauce, or basil oil for dipping
- All purpose flour and semolina flour for dusting
SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: Cannoli forms, Candy thermometer, parchment paper, pizza stone
MAKES 18 Pizza Cannoli
Take raw pizza dough out of the bag, and place in a large bowl with a towel over it so it can rise again. After about an hour, the dough should have doubled in size and is ready to roll out.