This is not a typical curry that I am aware of but rather a dish that fuses some of my favorite curries (Spicy vindaloo inspired by Portuguese settlers on the Indian coast, tangy citrus notes inspired by the tangyness of central indian lamb curries, and mild creamy coconut & coriander korma style curry)
Step 1: Curry Ingredients & Recommended Garnishes
2. 4 tablespoons curry powder: you have two options for the curry: option 1 is to use Penzey's "sweet curry powder" OR option 2 is to blend your own curry spice by mixing 1 tablespoon ground cumin, 1 tablespoon ground turmeric, 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger, 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander, 1 teaspoon ground cardamom, 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/2 tsp ground clove, 1/2 tsp finely ground black pepper)
3. 1 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil ( I use nutiva brand)
4. 1 large yellow onion
5. 1 large red onion
6. 1 head cauliflower
7. 4 tablespoons Vindaloo or red curry paste ( I like Patak's vindaloo curry paste but you can use any red curry paste if you find Vindaloo curries to be too hot)
8. 2 tablespoons ground coriander
9. Juice of 1 lime
10. 4 cups refrigerated unsweetened coconut milk ( I use SO delicious brand, I do not recommend full fat canned coconut for this)
- cooked brown rice
- finely shredded basil leaves
- diced tart apple (ie Granny Smith)
- smokey tahini yogurt crema (1/2 cup cultured coconut or vegan yogurt, 1/4 cup tahini, juice of one lemon, 1 tablespoon Spanish smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon smoked salt)
Step 2: Cook Protein
- Coconut oil
- Tofu (or tempeh or chickpeas)
Cook over medium high heat until fragrant. If using tofu or tempeh, brown lightly
****If you are serving this with brown rice, I recommend starting the rice when you start this step.
Step 3: Add Onions
Step 4: Add Cauliflower
Step 5: Add Curry Paste..
Step 6: Cover and Cook
Season with salt to taste.
****from the time the tofu hits the pan to the time the cauliflower is done, this usually takes one hour to prepare
Step 7: Prepare the Garnish
1/2 cup cultured coconut or vegan yogurt, 1/4 cup tahini, juice of one lemon, 1 tablespoon Spanish smoked paprika, & 1 teaspoon smoked salt
Dice the apples
Shred the basil
Step 8: Recommended Plating..
On one side of the rice (closest to the edge of the plate) spoon a heaping spoonful of the smokey tahini yogurt crema.
One the other side, scoop 3/4 cup of the plant powered curry.
Top with shredded basil and diced apple.