THIS GUIDE IS IN SEVERAL CONTESTS! IF YOU LIKE IT, VOTE FOR IT! THANKS! :D
Hello dear friends!
As some of my followers already know, I live in Bologna (Italy), in the heart of Po river Valley.
This area is known as the wettest one of Italy. This is due to terrain, level (a lot of areas are UNDER sea level) and weather.
These factors result in very hot temperatures in summer, very cold ones in winter, an incredibly thick fog but, mostly, giant and aggressive mosquitoes.
There is a city, Comacchio (only 55 miles from Bologna), that is known as the "Mosquitoes Town". XD
Obviously is nothing tropical, but it's very annoying!
It's really difficult to enjoy summer evenings without using pesticides, sprays or other stinky poisons. Or, you can always avoid using anything and... be eaten alive by these little vampires.
While mosquitoes are useful for the ecosystem (did you know that mosquitoes are the main cocoa plants pollinators? No mosquitoes means no chocolate!!!), we don't want them to fly around our garden and bite everything that's alive, pets included.
In this Instructable, I want to show you an all natural and potentially free way to create an efficent mosquito trap with little more than a plastic bottle!
Why potentially free? Because we will use materials that are always present in our home!
Let's start with our shopping list.
For our trap we will need:
Optional for hanging
If you have the liquor can container, you won't need black cardboard, we will see why.
NOTE: A lot of users reported me different results. Someone have found a full trap and some other an empty bottle after several attempts. You should experiment a bit by changing the amount of yeast in each traps, in fact only some kind of mosquitoes are attracted by this trap and the amount of CO2 released change the effectiveness depending on climate/humidity of your zone. For example, I've found a full bottle on the first attempt and much less dead mosquitoes in the next two bottles (with same recipe). I'm experimenting different mixtures in these days ;)
As you can see, these are very common and easy to find materials.
I didn't have to buy anything except for the brewer's yeast (I can't find fresh one...darn).
Let's move on the first thing: cutting the bottle!