Introduction: Plastic Jug Filter
This instructable shows how to turn an HDPE plastic jug into a filter. This can be used to filter particulates from a chemical experiment for instance.
Step 1: Form the Funnel
The top of the jug becomes the funnel:
- Use something to support a permanent marker.
- Keep the marker stationary and rotate the bottle to mark the level.
- Cut off the lid and handle.
- Trace and cut to make a funnel.
- Heat where the handle used to be and flatten.
- Heat and apply extra patch of plastic for the handle hole.
Step 2: Form Stop Tabs
To keep the funnel from falling or rotating into the 'bucket' part of the jug, make four tabs:
- Heat and squish the handle.
- Cut square pieces from the squished slab of plastic.
- Solder the tabs onto the funnel.
Step 3: Create Support Net
Create a support net for the funnel's filter:
- Cut thin strips of HDPE and tape them down in equal spacing.
- Overlay additional strips.
- Heat using a heat gun or embossing tool.
- Squish with a wooden block.
Step 4: Solder and Use
In the last step, solder the mesh to the funnel and use:
- Tack the mesh onto the funnel.
- Cut excess length.
- Solder all pieces.
- Put funnel over bucket.
- Insert a paper filter.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.